Hello folks,
Corcerning this topic there are some relevant studies by the romanian ethnologist and historian of religion Andrei Oişteanu, expecially the new massive book Narcotice īn cultura romānă. Istorie, religie şi literatură ("Narcotics in romanian culture. History, religion and literature", romanian language only. Looking for the new 2011 extended edition, a translation would be surely amazing), but he has written quite often in english e.g. Narcotics and hallucinogens: scholars from the romanian territories travelling to the East (Spathary Milescu, D. Cantemir, J.M. Honigberger, M. Eliade), in "Studia Asiatica. International Journal for Asian Studies" 10 (2009), 263-285; Id., Mircea Eliade and Ioan Petru Culianu on narcotics and religion, in "Archaeus. Studies in History of Religions" 14 (2010), 121-140. Davide Ermacora

From: Uri Raz
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:05 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Occult practices and the drug trade

Two simple reasons: there's no money in it, and it is ilegal.

Some would say drugs are ilegal because there's money in making it ilegal.

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Noah Gardiner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Mogg,

Yes, drug use is such an incredibly important modern cultural phenomenon, in occultism and elsewhere, and of course an important phenomenon historically. I've long wondered why there's no academic field taking a humanities approach to the topic, "Drugs studies" or somesuch. For example, there's been a little been done on medieval Middle Eastern hashish use, but it could be explored much further. Obviously, psychotropics/"shamanism" have gotten some attention, but there's a lot more to the topic of drugs than just that category. It's also of enormous political importance, of course, given my dear country's international "war on drugs."

Someday, if I get a tenured job (if tenure still exists in the near future), I'll try to pursue it.

- N