Fiona

One problem in replying to your email is that I don't know how much you already know about multivariate statistics. If you know a lot then my reply will sound patronising!

Are you committed to using a particular multivariate package? If you are, then you are sure to find courses specifically geared to the multivariate workings of that package.

However there is a problem with most courses in multivariate analysis. They disassemble the algebra of a particular method (such a principal components analysis) but offer little in the way of diversity of worked examples and explanation of results. From the consumer's point of view, it's a bit like wanting to fly from London to Paris, but before taking off the airline insists you understand the physics and mechanics of a jet engine.

If you are not committed to any particular software, then you could try Oyvind Hammer's superb package PAST. It is free of charge, but has a somewhat unconventional user interface. You are, nevertheless, able to paste in copies of multivariate tables already assembled in Excel. Go to:

http://www.nhm.uio.no/norlex/past/download.html

The manual can be downloaded as the first item at:

http://www.nhm.uio.no/norlex/past/doc1.html

PAST is certainly suitable for somebody with an archaeological or biological bent. The author has a palaeontological background. It will do any type of multivariate analyses that people in those fields are ever likely to need - the most common needs being for clustering, seriation, principal components, correspondence analysis, and linear discriminant analysis.

PAST is, however, not a course. So you could couple use of PAST with such lucid texts as Bryan Manly's "Multivariate Statistical Methods: a primer". I have the 2nd edition of 1994, but I see now that there is a 3rd edition. There is lots of advice on what substantive problems require which multivariate method, and lots of raw data with worked examples.

In brief, what I am suggesting is a way to go. But it is clearly not a course as such.

I will be interested to learn whether members of this list have had constructive experiences with online multivariate courses.

Richard