In general, this is how a conjunction would work. Howevever, the underlying statistics are invalid.

When you setup the mixed-design as above (group, subject, conditions) you need to remember the following things:
(1) You need the main effect of subject, group, and condition in addition to the interaction terms. Statistical theory says that if you include the interaction, then you need the main effects in the model.

(2) The mixed-designs are invalid for between-subject comparisons (e.g. group1>group2), but valid for within-subject comparisons (e.g. condition1>condtion2). In brief, the between-subject effects should use the between-subject error term (Sums of Squares of Subjects - Sums of Squares of Group Factor); while the within-subject effects should use the within-subject error term (Sums of Squares of Subject-by-Condition). In SPM, there is only one error term and in the mixed -design it is the Sums of Squares of Subject-by-Condition. Thus, between-subject comparisons are statistically invalid.

If you your going to OHBM, drop by my poster for more detail.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Office: (773) 406-2464