Sure you can, it works well though can take a bit of tweaking depending on the image type. I'm guessing if your BETing it's DTI and you have the B0 image, in which case:

- Run New-Segment to generate white, gray and CSF images
- Sometimes (depend on image) it is as simple as summing those 3, and thresholding at ~0.3
- B0 images are trickier (eyeballs), and so I normally do the following steps and save it as a batch to repeat on various subjects:

1. imcalc - sum c1 + c2: basic_mask
2. smooth basic_mask, usually [10 10 10]*** is fine
3. threshold ~0.1***: nodif_brain_mask

I usually throw in a couple of extra steps to input the B0, imcalc "B0.*nodiff_brain_mask"  to generate a skull stripped brain and then check reg. Altering the two parameters marked *** will normally achieve the balance your looking for.

Hope that helps,

- Chris