Dear all,

Today is June 15th,  which means that only one  month is left until the end of our First Compass Translation Contest  which you all so very kindly agreed to judge.. Although we have received some interesting entries, we would like to see many more submissions to choose from! It looks like we do  need your assistance in spreading the word (among your students, for example).

Just to remind you, the Committee includes:
Department of Slavic Languages, Georgetown University (US)
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, Montclair State University (US)
The Pushkin Club (UK)
The Scotland-Russia Forum (UK)
Russian American Cultural Center (US)

Besides, the prize money was partially donated by the Department of Slavic Languages & Literatures, Princeton University.

As it is spelled out in the guidelines
http://www.stosvet.net/compass/index.html  ,
the contest fee may be waived should  technical, political, or other problems arise.

We would be very much obliged if you could encourage whoever you see as potential participants to submit their work.
One poem per contestant is not much, but we have all reasons to expect some very high quality translations of N.S.Gumilyov's poetry which would enrich the collection of the already existing English versions.

With our best summer wishes,
Irina Mashinski & Oleg Woolf

Cardinal Points Literary Journal
www.stosvet.net

Robert Chandler, 42 Milson Road, London, W14 OLD