Begin forwarded message:

From: Stephen Hutchings <[log in to unmask]>
Date: 24 June 2011 12:59:46 GMT+01:00
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [BASEES-MEMBERS] Slavonic Studies at Glasgow

Dear All,

Following the troubling news that Glasgow University has, after all, taken the decision to close its Slavonic Studies programme, despite concerns over the procedural legitimacy of the decision, and despite a strong public outcry, BASEES will be contacting the University, along with a number of national media outlets.

We would urge all of you to sign a petition raised with the Scottish Parliament to introduce government funding for lesser taught langauges in Scotland. Without such funding, East European Studies in Scotland will remain under continual and serious threat. The petition is to be found at:

http://epetitions.scottish.parliament.uk/view_petition.asp?PetitionID=455

http://epetitions.scottish.parliament.uk/view_backgroundinfo.asp?PetitionID=%20455

I urge you and your colleagues to sign the petition as soon as possible.

Best Wishes,

Steve

Robert Chandler, 42 Milson Road, London, W14 OLD