All,

Following Lee Nemcheks comments, a thorny issue in my opinion.

In my opinion, business records should be accessible by the business,
not reserved to a particular individual in their "home" drive.  This
includes business documents in draft format, otherwise there is a danger
that the corporate memory is damaged if an individual has direct
retention control over the content owned not by them but by the
business.

I would contend that, if adequate management controls exists, the home,
or personal drive should only contain information relating to the
individual which should not reside elsewhere such as in HR.  This could
be draft work in developing ones annual review, or perhaps a request for
personal adjustments in some way.  If a distinction is needed, items
such as annual leave recording and flexi time recording are also
business records and should live in a controlled business home.

I would be interested to hear any other views on this

Regards

Paul

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless Worldwide in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2009/09/0052.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free.