We wait sometimes, in Canada, but so far have resisted going the US way.

I had a similar experience in Chile, Millicent: private but
affordable, at least to me, & immediate service at the hospital for an
ear infection.

I hear these tales from the US & wonder why anyone would be against a
public health system... (that works, as some dont so well any more;
but that's because governments are trying to undermine them: see
Britain these days I suspect).

Doug
Quoting "Millicent Borges Accardi" <[log in to unmask]>:

> This is a side note to a discussion I have only read parts of, but I
> wanted to chime in about the inadequacies of US pharma.
>
> In Lisbon for a writers conference, I took ill. A basic cold turned
> nasty probably due to a 17 hour flight and lack of sleep, etc. At
> any rate, I went to an urgent care. Tests that would have taken
> referrals and weeks back home were a five minute walk down the hall
> of a clinic. I left with what would have been considered a physical
> back home and a nebulizer and other meds-- all for 11 Euros. And,
> unlike in the US where pills are counted and dealt out like
> contraband, I got full sized boxes and was sent on my way.
>
> I nearly cried.
>
> For a heart condition, my husband is on a shoe box full of pills and
> nearly every week it is an argument with the US insurance company
> over timing, like can he get the 14 pills that his Dr prescribed  or
> will they only give him ten?  These are not perceived "fun" or
> addictive drugs even, mind you.  They are heart and blood meds.
> Plus, half of what he is on have patents and are ten times the price
> that a generic would be--only there is no generic.
>
> My morning spent in a local clinic in Portugal opened my eyes. They
> were kind, personal, and caring.  Sure the walls needed paint. But
> there was no bureaucratic mess. It was doctors and patients.They
> called names, then the doctors met and spoke with each patient. If a
> test was needed, they performed it right there.
>
> It is insane what we go through in the US to get health care. And
> the war on drugs? Please do not get me started.
>
> Mill

Douglas Barbour
11655 - 72 Avenue NW
Edmonton  Alberta  T6G 0B9

That’s not a cross look it’s a sign of life

			Frank O’Hara