Hi Barry

I deliberately used the one word so that it could refer to place and
linguistic process simultaneously. My Greek is far too limited for me to
know how far that works.

It would jar on me if someone referred to Trafalgar Square as Trafalgar.
I'd think, initially, they meant the battle. Same, I imagine, with Times
Square in NY. I'm thinking through the cities I know with big squares
whose names I know; and I can't find a variation.

(But I do get the train to Victoria rather than Victoria Station. So the
move is possible.)

That I have been in Athens and said in English "I was near Syntagma
and..." is not evidence except potentially of the incoherence of a Brit
tourist.

But I did it. In the poem.

I was primarily interested in the linguistic connection, knowing that at
present many would be aware of the "disturbances" in "Constitution Square"

My understanding is that Syntagma does not quite mean constitution but
rather something like "the arrangement" which has some interesting
overtones. Because this arrangement is the one that tells them how they do
their politicking, it is understood synonymically.

It goes back to the wars of independence on which I am no expert, barely
struggling to make it to ignoramus; but one may imagine the bubbling
mixture of interests and desires and power which had to be reconciled.

It seems to me I fell asleep somewhere in the middle of the chapter on
Venizelos, whichever of the several books I read at one time, and then
forgot much of the earlier stuff. It's not that it's not interesting; but
that I tend to read too many books at the same time.

In theory I have read the Middleton book and have no recollection of ever
reading the Cubitt, but your summary of it is very familiar to me; and
that linguistic - epic - connotation was what I was seeking and hoping to
reference.

Thank you so much for your attention.

Lawrence

-----