Dear Ken,

Maybe we are a millennium back in time ?
Your comment brings back to my mind the status of monumental
architecture a few centuries ago: cathedrals, major temples or
cities... The master architect, as well as the person that
commissioned the monument, was unlikely to see the construction
achieved. It was one of the reasons why the guilds were so closed :
ensuring the "continuity" of the initial project, at a time where
drafting and structural analysis was in its debut.
It is also one of the roots (in my opinion) of the distinction
between design (as an intentional project which value is rooted in
its representation/symbolic potential —potential because it is not
yet executed and experienced) and design (as the instructions to
execute, be it organisation of work, sketching, etc.).
The transmission had to be very special... not so different actually
from what happens when you have to deal with maintaining or
dismantling large pieces of equipment... an interesting topic for/
about design, but not really investigated.

Best regards,

Jean