Hi Victor and all,

What your are complaining about is the reason why I insisted with my
colleagues here at IADE that the courses "History of Design" and "Theory
of Design" should be merged. Now we have a course called "History of the
Theory of Design" in the undergraduate level. We placed specific
histories of designto the master's level the  - like "Furniture History"
in the industrial production masters- and specific theoretical fields
useful for design - like "Cognitive Ergonomics" in the visual design
masters and we extinguished THE theory of Design or THE History of Design..
I understand your plea. Somehow, the responses to it were like a very
elaborate IKEA instructions manual on how to start doing
research/PhD/supervision. And this is good. I offer my talents to do the
illustrations, as clear as IKEA's, I hope. And for the booklet cover I
propose an illustration showing Rosan arriving to Mandalay with Ken as
sir Lawrence Olivier or a sled named Endnote burning in Xanadu's furnaces.

What I think you were asking for was for another thing, and I'll try to
summarize it: What Victor was asking for was what is worthwhile reading.
Not what you will end up putting in your reference list but those things
so determinant, obvious and good that you shouldn't start any kind of
research on Design without reading it. In fact, stuff so good that it
might not even show up in a literature gathering about a specific
research project. Fundamental (I would say) authors (instead of texts)
that you/we should read to place you/us inside what design is considered
for the possibility of design research.
Best,
Eduardo Corte-Real