Sorry Ken, I guess I wasn't sufficiently clear.
I meant to say that octopi & dogs have precursor abilities (planning,
problem solving, etc) to designing.  Octopi are quite ancient; this
suggests that some of those precursor abilities have been built-in for
a *very* long time.
I can accept that perhaps the difference between them and us is more
one of quantity than quality, but if it's a matter of quantity, it is
a vast one.
I'm a "dog person" too, and I've often been amazed at the behaviours
of our dogs, but I've never recognized in them the kind of reflection
that I recognize every day in people. Nor am I aware of any research
that suggests *any* animal has the reflective abilities of humans to
the degree we exhibit it.

Cheers.
Fil

--