I never learned english grammar in any depth - thanks to the hippies
who set the elementary school curriculum when I was a child - but it
seems to me a basic difference is in whether the thing after "is"
plays the role of noun or adjective.

"The car is transportation."
"The car is red."

And, Gunnar, you're right about the red paint reflecting light and all
that.  Imagine how boring conversing with people would be if we had to
be that specific and precise all the time.
Still, it's good to know that such precision and specificity is
possible, because sometimes it matters a lot.

Cheers.
Fil

--
\V/_