Changing the email subject line because Google mail lumps all email with the
same subject line together, making it really difficult when there are 70
messages in the thread.  So every so often it is useful to change the
subject line.

I really think that there is a research-practice gap here. Most designers
are practitioners. The PhD is a research degree. Practitioners often have no
research tradition.  Much of this debate is useful and interesting, but
also revealing of the great gap between what some of us think is research
and useful knowledge and what others think.

This is not just the practitioner-researcher gap. It is also the gap between
the scientifically trained researcher and the ones trained in the
art/architectural community, where much of the research is history and
criticism. (I am not trying to say that one form is better than the other: I
am pointing out that they have very different goals, aims, and methods.)

see my two papers:
http://jnd.org/dn.mss/the_research-practice_gap_1.html
http://jnd.org/dn.mss/talk_research_practice_gap_2_kinds_of_innovation_1.html

(Personally, if there is no generalizable knowledge from design, then design
is an art and belongs in the craft schools. Also personally, that notion is
silly. )

--

I am amused by Francesa's comment: "you might be interested in considering
the position of those who say that in order to design successful products

Roberto and I are so much on the same wavelength here that we are jointly
giving a keynote at the "Designing Pleasurable products"confence in two
weeks in Milan.
http://www.dppi11.polimi.it/

Basically, we say that UCD and HCD (which we consider to be the same things)
are great for incremental innovation but useless for radical innovation
(what Roberto calls "meaning change").  We use Pasteur's quadrant to argue
that there are four kinds of innovation.  And the most dramatic come from
anywhere, certainly NOT from user studies.

I gave my version at IASDR and at an IIT-ID conference. The Design Research
community hates it.    Technology first, i argue. needs last.  See

http://jnd.org/dn.mss/technology_first_needs_last.html
You might look at my paper entitled "Human-Centered Design Considered
harmful" as well as the second URL I posted above.
http://jnd.org/dn.mss/human-centered_design_considered_harmful.html
http://jnd.org/dn.mss/hcd_harmful_a_clarification.html

--

Have fun people.