Pat, some of your Qs are ambiguous, IMO, but here goes anyway:

> Here are some starters for ten
>
> 1) Do you still need a repository - can you build what you need around
> the LR and some files on a website?

The word "repository" is just sooooooooo noughties, my dear. The concept of repository is still alive in the area of 'scholarly works' where it makes sense as papers, theses and datasets are stored on one or more particular servers and need to be downloaded for analysis and whatnot, but in learning resources it's sometimes difficult to talk of a discrete resource in a discrete place. A YouTube video, say - if you put the link to that into your 'repository', you're not storing the video itself. On a larger sense, is OAIster a 'repository'? IMO no.

I'm not sure what phrase should be used, but I do think that 'repository' has had its day in an inter-connected interoperable web. We ought maybe to be thinking in terms of distributed databases of teaching and learning resources.

For all that preamble, my answer would be: yes, we still need to build our own 'resource databases' (or whatever) for local usage and customisation. And also not to be too reliant on external services.

> 2) Where can you think of services providing links to elearning
> content being deployed? What tools would you like?

Locally and online. Tools: aggregators with knobs on. That is, a teacher or student being able to collate online and local resources into a meaningful whole, with pedagogical 'glue'. OER Glue is a good starter in this respect.

> 3) What paradata and metadata would you find useful (for example no
> geodata at the moment is stored)?

Usage paradata. IMO reviews and star ratings are, well, overrated, for all sorts of reasons. Some pedagogical metadata, though not as OTT as the UK LOM Core goes. As ever, the main problem is who's going to enter the metadata, but that's been debated ad nauseam over years without any resolution.

> 4) How would you like to add your resources to the learning registry?

Easily! Personally I'd want the registry to harvest feeds that I provide - I'm sick of redepositing the same packages in multiple repositories. Write once, read many times.

Cheers

Fred

----
This email represents my own personal views and is not at all reflective of policy or opinions at my institution. So there.
----