Here's an overview of HTML5 and video containers and codecs:
http://diveintohtml5.org/video.html

It's a rapidly moving field so some of that will be out of date (in
particular WebM seems to have overtaken OGG Theora as the "openest"
alternative to H264)

See also http://www.youtube.com/html5

One rider to Peter's comment: HTML5 will support a number of formats;
browsers might not, at least not natively (i.e. you would need a plug-in).

Phil