I think it depend what you are testing for.

It is obvious on machines how you test for intermediate distance for DSE user.. . and many firms do no want to pay for everyone to get a test at an optician if they can conveniently satisfy their workforce with a box screen test.
Having said that I believe if a company takes on the Vision Express corporate scheme , they send someone out to the site with a box screener to do this bit...

For forklift truck I have seen a stereopsis test added e.g.
http://www.frisbystereotest.co.uk/index.htm

The Home Office guidance suggests that prospective police officers who have had laser surgery to the eye should have testing done under dim light conditions...and in the Force I do some work for, all vision screening is done by the Driving School with a Keystones.New recruits provide, and pay their own optician eyetest, this is additional testing for dim light on a handful of people.

I think the peripheral vision test on machines is fairly limited, usually just horizontal.
It is not very time consuming to do a Confrontation test
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OeCQfWW-zA&feature=related

Cheers
Diane