Hi Andy,

Our organisation has over 70,000 employees and although our files are
computerised (OH have access to all areas - line management/Personnel have
access to the referral/outcome areas) there still seems to be a lot of
paperwork generated. This used to dealt with by the OH admin team but a
recent re-structure with the Personnel function means that it is now sent
for scanning prior to destruction to the Personnel Administration Centre
(PAC). The PAC deal with personnel admin for the entire organisation and
have strict confidentiality clauses within their contract.

Although I can't help with specifics, our OH management team contacted
both the NMC/RCN/FOM as well as having detailed discussions with our
in-house legal team to ensure we were complying with the legalities. In
short, we seem to have been through exactly what you are going through now
without any real issues. In fact, the system is much smoother now as well
as being quicker and release our own admin team from the more tedious
aspects of their role to enable them to focus more on us OHAs!. Good luck.

Regards,

Andy

This e-mail may contain confidential medical information. The information
is intended only for the use of the individual named above. If you are not
the intended recipient or designee, you are notified that disclosure of
this information is strictly prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in
error, please notify the sender immediately.

Andy Sidle <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: [log in to unmask]
29/06/2011 09:27
Please respond to
Occupational Health mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

cc

Subject
[OCC-HEALTH] HR and Confidentiality

Dear list

I work for a very large Local Gov Organisation and our Human Resources
division - of which OHS is part - proposes to restructure its
administrative support services. The proposal is that there will be one
"professional support service" supporting all areas of HR and that no area
shall retain its own dedicated administrative support. Our argument - that
we must retain dedicated support staff due to medical confidentiality is
falling on deaf ears, with management asserting that all HR work is
confidential and staff merely need to sign a confidentiality agreement re
OHS. We continue to "build the case against" but can anyone direct us to
explicit guidance on this point. (RCN, FoM ect merely refer to the need to
maintain confidentiality).

Has anyone else faced this prospect and, if so, what evidence did you use
to counter it? Alternatively, is anyone working with such an arrangement
and, if so, what measures have been instituted to ensure the
confidentiality of medical information is maintained?

regards
Andy Sidle

********************************

OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

This email is confidential and may contain copyright material of the John Lewis Partnership.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately and delete all copies of this message.
(Please note that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses). Email to and from the
John Lewis Partnership is automatically monitored for operational and lawful business reasons.

John Lewis plc
Registered in England 233462
Registered office 171 Victoria Street London SW1E 5NN

Websites: http://www.johnlewis.com
http://www.waitrose.com
http://www.johnlewis.com/insurance
http://www.johnlewispartnership.co.uk