We have been offered a large quantity of reptile skins (mostly python) along with associated reptile skin products (bags, shoes, etc). These were amassed during a project which was developing a system for automated species recognition to be used by Customs Officers. All of the items were given to the researchers by Customs and Excise (primarily Heathrow) who had siezed them at point of entry.

There is far too much material for us to hold, so we are asking if there are other museums who would like to have tanned skins and reptile skin products for educational or scientific use. If we cannot find homes for these items, they will be destroyed.

Currently the material is in our freezer, so we have not yet prepared an inventory, but will do so when the Anthrenus are all dead. If you are interested in any of his material, please let me know (off list) by e-mailing me at [log in to unmask] .
Hope you are all enjoying this weather!
Tony

Dr A.G.Irwin
Senior Curator of Natural History
Norfolk Museums and Archaeology Service
Shirehall, Market Avenue, Norwich, NR1 3JQ
T: 01603 493642  M: 07880707834 F: 01603 493623
E: [log in to unmask]
The information contained in this email is intended only for the person or organization to which it is addressed.  If you have received it by mistake, please disregard and notify the sender immediately.  Unauthorized disclosure or use of such information may be a breach of legislation or confidentiality and may be legally privileged.

Emails sent from and received by Members and employees of Norfolk County Council may be monitored.  They may also be disclosed to other people under legislation, particularly the Freedom Of Information Act 2000.

Unless this email relates to Norfolk County Council business it will be regarded by the Council as personal and will not be authorized by or sent on behalf of the Council.  The sender will have sole responsibility for any legal actions or disputes that may arise.