The Austrian midwifery law states that there must be a midwife at every birth, and if this is not possible, at least afterwards.
Link:
http://www.jusline.at/3._Beiziehungspflichten_der_Schwangeren_Gebärenden_und_Wöchnerin_HebG.html

The practice is such that there is a midwife at every birth, but postpartum care in hospital is mostly done by nurses and doctors. According to European midwifery guidelines, we CAN do pregnancy care, but usually doctors are the caregivers.

Regards
Claudia Oblasser MA
Hebamme/Midwife
Sauerhofstrasse 26/8