We also had some discussion 1 or 2 years ago of whether Every Object Tells a Story - 1 of the Culture Online projects - could be revived. I'm sure we had some of the discussion on this list - although we did switch to Twitter at times.
I think that the Collections Trust has custody of the digital remains of that project. It would still fit in well with A History of the World in 100 Objects. I was an early participant in that project which (at least initially) allowed a scant amount of space for a story - 70 words is the limit that comes to mind for the texts.
The objects chosen and the form of interpretation varied a lot - which was fascinating in itself. I'd love to see the collection of interpretations not just revived but added to (through a longer term project) by enabling people to use either a QR code or visual recognition to connect a micro-blog post about the object with institution's catalogue entry (with metadata) + an image
We could probably gather masses more new contributions for much less cost than the original Every Object... project.
I suppose that the cost of disentangling and re-mounting the original material would probably be higher than a new project.

Janet

Janet E Davis

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg