From: Chan, Sebastian
Sent: Monday, June 27, 2011 1:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MCG historical query - criticisms of Culture Online programme?

Hi all

Back in the early 2000s there was a funding scheme in the UK called Culture
Online that funded a lot of 'collaborations' (maybe better described as
public/private partnerships) between digital agencies and the cultural
sector.

I seem to remember that there were a number of reports that were quite
critical of the funding model, especially around the sustainability of the
project outputs themselves (how many of those sites are still online now?)
and also the sustainability of a sudden funding injection into the digital
agencies (how many of those agencies got burned?).

Anyway, I know that a lot of the older folk on the MCG list will have
memories of this period and those projects and I seem to remember there
being heated discussion of them on-list and importantly, some reports that
were published.

If you remember or better still have copies of any of these reports I'd
really welcome a copy.

Thanks

Seb

Sebastian Chan
A/g Head of Digital, Social and Emerging Technologies
Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, Australia
s - 500 Harris St Ultimo | p - PO Box K346, Haymarket, NSW 1238
t - +61 2 9217 0109  | m - +61 (0) 413 457 126
e - [log in to unmask]  | w - www.powerhousemuseum.com/dmsblog

This email and attachments are for the use of the intended recipient(s) only
and may contain confidential or legally privileged information or material
that is copyright of Powerhouse Museum or a third party. If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then
delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose
or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior permission. Any views
expressed in this message and attachments are those of the individual sender
and the Powerhouse Museum accepts no liability for the content of this
message.

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg