Our library authority is, in my view, sadly acquiescent about Daily-Maily (copyright Stephen Fry) paedo-angst (copyright Toni Franck).  The authority uses the filter operated in schools.   Out of work adults who don't have internet access at home, are often blocked and barred when trying to find jobs, completing job applications online, as well as more frivolous (nonetheless legit) stuff.

Sincerely,

Toni Franck

-----Original Message-----
From: John Dolan <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:24
Subject: Re: the library. Guardian of free information?

Phil

Well done. This is historic, pervasive and is widely known in the LIS community. But the Guardian article was helpful in outing the issue and highlighting such a fundamental aspect of the public library service.

We must raise awareness at national level to ensure that library service users enjoy the free and unfettered access to information and ideas of which we rightly boast and which we work to sustain.

Not to mention the cost-effectiveness of public and staff access to the widest e-facilities.

When I was at MLA, SOCITIM [local government IT managers] were understanding of the absurdity of such restrictions for an “information service” and more seriously, of the damage it does to service delivery, the independence of library information provision and the quality of the service. They seemed willing at the time to promote better understanding among their members.

Another body that should have a strategic view, from every angle, is the LGA.

Hopefully, as we move, on we will find that Arts Council England also gets it in terms of e-library services and the information role of libraries.

For DCMS, there is the wider context of digital policy and strategy and, notwithstanding Race Online 2012, there is little mention of linking public library digital services to the wider economic and social need in DCMS’ other digital planning.

I wasn’t aware that unions were engaged with this issue. I’m relieved they were OK about it. I can see why they might have been consulted over staff role in this area say 10 years ago but surely now this is all part of life and living.

Always worth mentioning children and young people in this context and of course, assiduous authorities will have policies and practices in relation to children’s internet use.

John
John Dolan OBE, BA, Dip Lib, MCLIP

Tw. @johnrdolan
T. 0121 476 4258