Apologies for cross posting

There are just a few places left for the JIBS User Group workshop is to be held on Wednesday June 29th 2011, 10am to 4pm, at the University of Birmingham, Edgbaston Campus. Arts Lecture Room 3, Arts Building.
http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/contact/directions/edgbaston-directions.aspx
University Station serves the campus.
Closing for bookings is 5pm Monday 6th of June

FREE to JIBS members. Each member institution may have two free places. Non members:  £55. If your institution is not currently a member, join now for £70 annual subscription, and enjoy two free places at each of our twice yearly workshops.

Many librarians were involved in the publications aspect of the last RAE.
Although the traditional bibliometrics aspect in the current REF has diminished, there is - in the new funding climate  - a greater need for the analysis of bibliometric information for internal evaluation and external benchmarking.
Institutions are increasingly interested in procuring a CRIS (Current Research Information System), improving their current internal systems, or using their institutional repository as a CRIS - both for the REF and for internal purposes.

We will discuss the various ways in which librarians are getting involved in the research evaluation process, including CRISs, other publication databases, repositories and support for preparations for REF as well as internal research evaluation. We will also explore how much the bibiliometrics features of commercial databases like Web of Science and Scopus are being reinterpreted, and whether Google Scholar can be used like this too.

The full programme details and how to apply are available on our website:
http://www.jibs.ac.uk/events/workshops/researcheval/programme.htm
*

Search Twitter for the event tag #JIBSre<http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23JIBSre>
We are running a brief survey ahead of the event to get a better idea of what support for research evaluation is currently provided in UK HEIs and whether librarians are involved in delivering it. We would appreciate 10 minutes of your time, whether you can attend or not. Please access via the link below. Thank you.

https://opinio.ucl.ac.uk/s?s=14232

Fiona Bowtell

Learning and Teaching Librarian
Open University Library