We've tripped over an oddity in our routing set up and I'm baffled.  I
hope this is a suitable list to ask for assistance on.

We use BGP on our metropolitan network with private ASs.  At the core
are two Cat 6500s running 12.2(33)SXI1.  They run IBGP between them with
no sync and, obviously, no IGP on a dedicated point-to-point 2x10GE
link.  That has worked beautifully for IPv4 for years.  With IPv6 the
routing continually bounces.  Routing on the EBGP peerings to JANET and
to other routers in the MAN are stable.

What seems to happen is that each router advertises itself as the next
hop for prefixes in the IBGP.  Each router has a connected route for the
/126 between them and a local /128 for its own interface address.  Each
router then installs an IBGP route for the /128 of its neighbour routed
via that same address.  That presumably overrides the /126 of the
connected interface.  Turning on ipv6 routing debugging shows the route
to the remote /128 being invalidated, all routes via it being removed
and then after a suitable pause - about a minute - being reinstalled and
the process beginning again.

The remote neighbour address (the remote /128) is pingable during the
entire process.

Anyone got any ideas about what we've missed here?

Sam

Sam Wilson
Network Team, IT Infrastructure
Information Services, The University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.