On Wed, 8 Jun 2011, Tim Chown wrote:

> I just ran these through a dig and wget and it seems Cambridge and the
> Royal Welsh College turned their AAAA's off already, ...

We implemented IPv6 on our webserver using a front end proxy; most of the
other services enabled also had an assortment of temporary works to switch
it on.  The reasons for these varied from decent support just not being
present on some platforms (old software with no time to upgrade), lack of
flexibility in configuration (e.g. the LDAP daemon didn't support
different authentication methods based on different client IPv6 addresses,
as it does with IPv4), issues with getting IPv6 handled by things like the
failover mechanisms and sometimes just a lack of IPv6 support in our own
management scripts and deployment systems.

In the end, we didn't manage to enable as many services as we hoped,
because of these issues.

However, the general opinion is that the actual exercise of the day has
made us do a variety of investigations which we wouldn't have done for a
while, otherwise, and that's all been useful, even though we ended up not
enabling some of the things we wanted to.

I imagine we'll be conducting a review of how things went (not just
operationally on the day but in terms of the preparation).  At the moment,
there are a few scribblings on our internal wiki but, if it turns into
anything more generally useful, we'll probably post that publicly.

For me personally, the day has been rather relaxing - my group mainly just
runs the backbone and data centre network.  That's all mostly enabled for
IPv6 already and we were specifically asked not to muck about with
anything this week so it couldn't be confused with anything going wrong
elsewhere on the day.  ;)

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <[log in to unmask]>              +44 1223 748479
  Network Division, University of Cambridge Computing Service