From: Richard Ellam [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 29 June 2011 15:42
To: Rigg,Lisa
Subject: Re: Education Internships - some advice

Dear Lisa

I'd suggest that what you are proposing may well be illegal, and is certainly politically unwise given that there are large scale cutbacks in local authority funding and staffing, with redundancies all over the place.

You MUST get advice from your council's HR dept as to whether offering such a long-term unpaid placement is actually legal under current UK employment legislation, particularly but not exclusively under the rules governing the minimum wage.  I suspect that unless the Trades Unions in Lambeth are asleep on the job when news of this plan leaks out they'll make hay with it, and therefore you will be at the centre of a storm of protest. This won't make you many friends in high places in Lambeth Council. IF you absolutely insist on going ahead with this scheme make sure that its signed off at the highest levels in the council so that they, not you, get the flak.

I certainly would not go ahead with this plan - if you want someone to work as Assistant Education Officer for six months and there's a real job for them to do, then common decency demands that they be paid the rate for the job. If the money isn't there to pay for the work to be done it is better that the work remain undone that than it be done under such expolitatove terms.

Regards

Richard Ellam

L M Interactive

Science Shows and Hands-On Stuff