Many thanks to all those who replied to my IWB vs projector query.

Here is a brief summary of the responses

For projectors

  • Much of what you've said there strikes a chord with me but it does sometimes feel like heresy to speak out against new technology!
  • (at first I) was constantly amazed by the potential of what could be done and constantly frustrated by it breaking down and having no time to develop any resources.
  • In our Museums we have two Whiteboards but these usually act as projector screens, rarely used in any truly interactive way.
  • I see the interaction with real objects at a museum as much more important as children can't do this at school and as you say, museum education sessions are interactive by their nature.
  • No one is really asking the question, 'what for?' My feeling is that technology should be introduced as an answer or solution to a problem, not as the question. Otherwise you end up purchasing the PDAs or iPads or IWBs because you feel you've got to 'keep up' but then you're left wondering what to do with them. I know of a number of organisations who have drawers full of handheld devices etc but they've never been used in a program.
  • In addition kids seem to be so surrounded by technology at home and school that old - school materials seem to have a retro charm about them. And in my opinion nothing beats a live presenter. I'd say ditch the IWB unless you have a program in mind where the IWB is the best tool to deliver it.
  • we have found the use of conventional laptop projector to be fine when images and presentations are what is required
  • This type of equipment is best in school I feel, the uniqueness of our museums and their objects is what visitors/schools want.
  • My view as an ex teacher is that the whole interactive thing was over played when they first came out. Most schools use them simply for writing stuff and to be quite honest you are better off with a whiteboard and pen or an old blackboard. I would deffo go down the cheaper route.
  • We had an interactive whiteboard installed about four years ago. I don’t think it has ever been used as a whiteboard since, only as a projector and screen. We had a bit of training on how to put together WB interactives in teaching but, to be honest, I don’t think any of us has had the time or inclination to use it to its full potential.
  • However, there is a lot that can be done with a PC and projector by way of making interesting and interactive (slightly) presentations. For example, PowerPoint is actually a much more flexible and innovative tool than its usual use of boring people to death with putting a few words on a screen. Website techniques are another way of doing interesting presentations and the software today isn’t too demanding to get your head around. We have connected up digital cameras (just simple ones, on a tripod) to the PC to show e.g. minibeasts enlarged a thousand times on the screen and so on. Never have we felt the need for what a WB can offer.
  • So my advice would be to go for the projector, make sure it has sound capability and if you have some change left over, buy some peripherals such as a camera or even pay someone to construct good presentations for you (especially if they are to be used on more than one occasion)

For IWBs (kind of)

  • I have an interactive 'star' board which does the same job as a conventional IWB - it is a panel type and is used projected on a conventional white board.   The panel is about the size of a laptop and the presenter stands alongside it, with a stylus, as you would with a laptop powerpoint presentation.   It is supposed to be top of the range, but, it is complicated even for my trained class room teachers.  To be honest, I don't think I would bother unless you have a large budget.
  • Saying all of this IWBs do have a lot of potential and it would be a shame if you had to get rid of yours only to need it later - the use of this sort of equipment is only going to grow. I say keep it if you can afford the move but if not then use a projector and stick the whiteboard into storage until such times as the e-learning funding returns…

For a Friday fight

  • I like whiteboards but I also like projectors. But which one is best? There’s only one way to find out...FIGHT!

So after weighing up the options we are going to get rid of the IWB and stick with a projector and peripherals. For those of you who asked why we don’t use the interactive part of the board it is because we never have the time to develop properly interactive resources as the time is spent developing hands-on interactive resources. Also the software to develop the interactive element is only on a couple of people’s computers and finally as mentioned above the interactive element always seems to break when you least want it to.

Thanks for all the advice and if anyone knows how you can get a whiteboard and projector to fight please can they reply directly to Essex!

Laura