Please find below details of a post currently being advertised for the new Museum of Somerset in Taunton.

Community Directorate, Heritage & Libraries
Museum of Somerset, Taunton Castle

Senior Visitor Services Assistant
37 hours per week (Tuesday – Saturday with some evening, Bank holiday and Sunday working as necessary)
Salary:	£15,444 - £16,630 pa
Job Ref No: 3917/AMB/SWF

The new Museum of Somerset at Taunton Castle will be opening this summer following a £6.93m redevelopment.  With many new galleries to explore and extraordinary objects to discover, our aim is to become Somerset’s flagship museum and a must-see visitor attraction for both local people and visitors to the county.

This post will be responsible for the daily supervision of the Visitor Services Team at the museum.  As the first point of contact with our visitors, we expect the highest standards of customer care from you and your team to ensure that a professional and welcoming service is provided to all visitors at all times.

You will also act as Premises Supervisor for the site, liaising with contractors to ensure the security, maintenance and cleanliness of the buildings, grounds and collections, and the safety of staff and visitors.

You will need excellent interpersonal and organisational skills and have a practical knowledge of health and safety and premises issues, together with a high level of ICT competency. You should also have a genuine enthusiasm about Somerset’s history and heritage, and be keen to share this to inform and inspire our visitors.

The set working days are Tuesday – Saturday, but there is a requirement to work Bank Holidays and occasional evenings and Sundays for special events, for which time off in lieu will be given.

For further information, please contact Susie Simmons, Visitor Services Manager on 01823 255080 or email [log in to unmask]

Apply on line at www.somerset.gov.uk/jobs or telephone our recruitment line 01823 356862 (24 hours). Please quote the reference number.

Closing date: 23 June 2011 at 5.00pm

Interviews:  8 July 2011