From: The English Place-Name List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Keith Briggs
Sent: 13 June 2011 09:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Cry Hafoc

Jeremy Harte wrote:

Ø  My eye was caught by the name Hawkwell  in a charter of 771x9, where it appears as on heafoc wyllan (S141, Bishops Cleeve, Glos). I thought I’d seen a name like this before somewhere, and indeed I had, in PN Glos 1 p136, 1 p228, 3 p64/67, and in PN Herts p54, and in PN Warks p44, and in PN N Riding p269, and in PN W Riding 1 p291, 2 p235, 4 p210, not to mention in Mawer’s PN Northumb. & Durham p106, Wallenberg’s PN Kent pp187, 419, Ekwall’s PN Lancs p214, Kökeritz’s PN Wight p167 and Horovitz’s PN Staffs pp305–6.

A large bird, associated with a well, occurs in the legend of St. Oswald (Oswald: Northumbrian king to European saint, ed. Stancliffe & Cambridge, Stamford 1995, pp. 2, 9, 10 etc.).

At Hauxwell in Yorkshire (PN YN 269), the church is dedicated to Oswald.

Keith

The information contained in this message is confidential and may be

legally privileged. The message is intended solely for the addressee(s).

use, dissemination, or reproduction is strictly prohibited and may be

unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the

sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Visit the Epsom and Ewell Borough Council website at www.epsom-ewell.gov.uk