From: Alex Schadenberg [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 10 June 2011 15:54
To: Euthanasia Prevention Coalition
Subject: EPC update - June 10, 2011

The Euthanasia Prevention Coalition (EPC) needs your help.

EPC is dependent on receiving donations by mail. In the last week EPC has received almost no mail and only a few donations as Canada Post has had regional strikes as their employees negotiate a new contract. It appears that people will not send donations in the mail when Canada Post is having labour issues. If the Canada Post strike continues much longer, we will be in a severe financial predicament.

If you are able to make a donation to EPC, please do so through paypal at: http://www.euthanasiaprevention.on.ca/Donations.htm or by credit card by calling the EPC office toll free at: 1-877-439-3348.

At the same time, EPC has received the legal bill for our intervention in the Rasouli case. The bill is greater than the original $20,000 estimate. The lawyers for the doctors had opposed our intervention application requiring our lawyers to appear before a judge to justify our intervention application. This cost was not calculated into the original estimates of cost.

The Rasouli case intervention was very important because it will determine whether or not doctors are required to obtain consent before withdrawing life-sustaining medical treatment.

Link my article: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2011/05/rasouli-case-who-has-right-to-decide-to.html

Link to another article: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2011/05/end-of-life-decision-rests-with-family.html

The Third International Symposium on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide was a tremendous success. The establishment of a committed international leadership team with a unified direction, combined with the fabulous presentations made the Third International Symposium our most successful event.

Link to my article: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2011/06/third-international-symposium-on.html

Link to another article: http://www.arpacanada.ca/index.php/issuesresearch/pro-life/1280-international-gathering-on-euthanasia-examines-successes-and-challenges

The Farewell Foundation in British Columbia (BC) and the BC Civil Liberties Association have launched two separate court cases to strike down the Canadian laws that prevent euthanasia and assisted suicide and protect people in vulnerable conditions from being pressured into death by lethal dose.

We are convinced that our impressive victory in parliament last year (Bill C-384 was defeated 228 to 59) convinced the euthanasia lobby that they would not, in the near future, legalize euthanasia by democratic means and led them to move their focus into the courts where they may be able to find a sympathetic Judge. With your help we will also defeat the euthanasia lobby in the court.

Link to my article on the Farewell Foundation case: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2011/05/bc-group-challenging-canadas-assisted.html

Link to my article on the BCCLA - Carter case: http://alexschadenberg.blogspot.com/2011/04/euthanasia-prevention-coalition-to.html

Alex Schadenberg

Euthanasia Prevention Coalition