Dear Joyce and All,
As far as I am aware, the French term 'handicape(e)', which seems to be the standard word for disabled does not seem to have the same negative connotations as 'handicapped'.  (The term handicapped itself seems to be acceptable in USA, but not UK.)  I have also found it difficult to discover whether personnes handicapees (disabled people) is preferable to handicape(e)s (the disabled) and there is also the vexed question of gender neutral language.  Not all disabled people are male.  There is then the issue of which (people) with impairment specific words are acceptable, which ones are unacceptable and which ones are preferable in different languages.  Or is impairment specific language by its nature medical model?  I also get the impression that language politics is more developed/more of an issue in some countries and/or languages than others.  Hopefully this will develop everyone, but needs to develop from inside rather than outside.  At least websites etc allow you to easily update language usage as you become aware of better options.
Marion