You're probably spot on there, Andy!  But it is sticking plaster rather than a cure for the underlying problem and we shouldn't be soft on marking to cover up for ay institutional failing or any group could start asking for concessions.

Disabled students deserve to be enabled to succeed, not patronised surely?

John

-----Original Message-----
From: Andy Velarde [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 13 June 2011 1:22 PM
To: John Conway; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: not sympathetic marking

Hi John. I guess some students may not require anything more, some others may require the actual adaptation of the curricula. The point is that for the second group of students, 'sympathetic marking' is not really support but 'support in lieu' of adequate support. I have the feeling that in truth they are asking for the adaptation of the curricula. By assuming that they want 'sympathetic marking' we may be playing down their claim.
This reminds me of Prof Gibson Burrell's interesting story of him trying to present an academic paper in a different format. Pls see citation below, if you are interested.

Burrell, G. (1994). Eco and the Bunnymen. In: Hassard, J. a. P., M ed. Postmodernism and Organisations. Vol. 71-82  London, Newbury Park, New Delhi: Sage.

I guess the real issue here is to what extent universities can adopt flexible curricula as a support mechanism for disabled students (including dyslexic students)

Best, Andy