Hi All,

I was wondering if you could give some advice about how you refer students for educational psychologist appointments at your institutions.  We are currently in the process of reviewing the way in which we do things at Swansea as we are having problems with students not paying for assessments etc.

Currently we arrange for educational psychologists to come to the university to provide assessments.  We provide a room for the assessment free of charge and we pay the psychologist for their services.  We then invoice the students directly or claim the funds from the Financial Contingency Fund where students are eligible once the reports have come through.  We have had a number of students that have withdrawn or graduated without paying us for the cost of the assessment which is leaving us out of pocket as we have already paid the psychologist for their service.  In the present financial climate we feel that we have to look at ways to reduce these costs but want to make every attempt to keep assessments as accessible as possible for students.

We are trying to come up with ways to improve this situation such as charging a deposit to be paid up front or charging an admin fee for the work we have to do to book the appointments, chase for payment etc.  Before we make any decisions, we wanted to see how other institutions approach this and even if they organise appointments at all.

I’d be really grateful if you could help out with this query.

Many thanks,

Catherine

Catherine Perrett

Disability Caseworker/Gweithiwr Achos Anabledd
Student Support Services / Gwasanaethau Cefnogi Myfyrwyr
Keir Hardie Building / Adeilad Keir Hardie
Swansea University/Prifysgol Abertawe
Singleton Park / Parc Singleton
Swansea / Abertawe

SA2 8PP

Email / E-bost: [log in to unmask]

Tel / Ffôn: 01792 602000 Fax: 01792 295090

www.swansea.ac.uk

www.abertawe.ac.uk

The contents of this email are confidential and for the intended recipient only.  If you have received this message in error, please inform the sender and delete the message.  Swansea University Student Services makes every possible effort to ensure that the information and advice it provides is up-to-date and accurate, but accepts no legal liability for errors or omissions, and reserves the right to make changes without notice.

Mae cynnwys yr ebost hwn yn gyfrinachol a dim ond y derbynnydd a fwriadwyd a ddylai ei ddarllen.  Os ydych wedi cael yr ebost hwn drwy gamgymeriad, rhowch wybod I’r anfonydd a delewch y neges.  Mae Gwasanaethau Myfyrwyr Prifysgol Abertawe yn gwneud pob ymdrech bosibl i sicrhau bod yr wybodaeth a’r cyngor y mae’n ei roi yn gyfoes ac yn gywir, ond nid yw’n derbyn atebolrwydd cyfreithiol am wallau nac am unrhyw beth a hepgorwyd, ac mae’n cadw’r hawl i wneud newidiadau heb rybudd.

cid:image001.jpg@01CBBD37.43871BD0