I have been much exercised by this issue over many years, having worked
in the UK, USA and Australia.
The US tenure system is an unusual model, viewed globally.Britain, NZ
and Australia have broadly similar approaches to academic employment -
you are employed, usually on unionised rather then individually
negotiated rates, but if things turn bad, you are gone.
I took a view, in my paper on tenure in 2008, that the US system was
exclusionary and unethical, committing the majority of faculty (ie the
untenured and untenureable posts) to bad employment conditions. Tenure
denies security to the majority, and is responsible for some unpleasant
behaviour too.
That was then. Now, I would have to modify that. Tenure has saved jobs
[only those with tenure]. Since the financial crisis of 2008>> and the
downturn in fortunes globally, the 'permanent contract' system in the
other anglo countries has also been severely stressed, particularly in
the UK [where I have been for a few months], as the humanities and
social sciences lose favour and funding from the government. Arguably
tenure would have saved a few posts.
However I still think the 'non-US anglophone' permanent contract system
has advantages - although empirical research would be needed on
comparative stress levels and job requirements vs the 6 yrs of overwork
and being polite to colleagues that happens in the US on the tenure
track. It might be 'neoliberal' contracts in Europe and Australia but
that doesn't mean faculty can't carve out a space in that system.

With global financial downturns and university shortfalls, it has become
a necessity to stand ready to defend your unit or your job. Justifying
your existence in the university is not really too much to ask. This can
be done in various ways, and threatened Departments need to have good
information about their successes, income, etc. on hand. Just in case.
Closure decisions are taken very quickly, as a recent campaign in
England just demonstrated.

 Individuals too - it obviously helps to be able to say, in the middle
of a giant financial recession, that you earn more in teaching and other
income than you cost in salary. Symbolic value counts less than $ value
in a recession, as U California academics are finding. Many find making
this sort of calculation offensive, since it potentially reduces
freedoms. However my friends and so many colleagues have been harassed
in their jobs over the years or lost them [and let us be honest, human
geography is rarely a core discipline to a university mission] - that I
reckon it really is important to become more astute about $ as
academics. Unfortunately teaching contributions are very hard to cost -
but the lack of clarity over fee incomes can work both ways.

A hint - scientists and engineers usually cost more than social
scientists to employ! And, also, teaching income vastly outweighs
research income in all the universities I have worked at, including the
research intensive ones.

Dr. Simon Batterbury, Associate Professor, (on research leave)
 Dept. of Resource Management and Geography,
University of Melbourne, 3010 VIC, Australia
http://www.simonbatterbury.net/

 Director, Office for Environmental Programs (on leave)
 http://www.environment.unimelb.edu.au