From: Kelvin <[log in to unmask]>
To: CRIT-GEOG-FORUM <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:18
Subject: Re: If Eagleton ruled the world

Whoops, Gareth slipped up. He should have known that humour (unless it some
knowingly satirical and excluding observation about the work of a French
philosopher) is not a geography thing: if we researched the geographies of
humour, we would do it humourlessly: there is no humour of geography [I can
feel the scholarly refutations gathering...]

Strange that we admire characteristics such as satire, irony and
preposterousness (see recent post about Adam Curtis' films) in the work of
others but have little or no place for these in our own earnest analysese?

Context: Terry Eagleton's personal grumpy old man piece will not be funny -
even in part - to everyone... But that itself is worth a bit of reflection
rather than polemic. Moreover, the fact that Prospect asked him to write it,
and that he agreed, is at least culturally revealing and worthy of academic
consideration.