Dear colleagues,

IPSE, the Italian postgraduate society of Edinburgh, is proud to
announce the first call for papers of its online peer-reviewed
journal, Iris. Iris will be composed of a peer-reviewed selection of
papers, a reviews section and a revolutionary, regularly updated
section featuring fragments, fiction, journalism, suspicions and other
engaging short forms.

For our first issue we would like to draw your attention to the the
following: ?Authority and Authorship: Averting the difficulties of
dialogue in the Humanities.?

Iris is looking to start a discussion on the possible lack of spaces
for dialogue and collaboration in the Humanities and its consequences
for Authority and Authorship. It appears to us, that the spaces that
traditionally generated dialogue ? conferences, journals, our own
departments ? have lost their fundamental function under the pressure
of an increasingly competitive field. Why do the Humanities generate
exclusively solitary and soliloquent research when the sciences seem
to work off collaboration and shared results? Given that most of our
studies are based on the output of human communities, should we not
attempt to build a community of our own, based on dialogue?

We invite contributors to think about this impairing weakness and to
engage with its origins and possibilities of resolution. Can we not
find a common language despite the disparities created by the
burgeoning of research areas of study? Why, but most importantly how
did we stop listening to and communicating our ideas? Is group
research desirable even if it is possible?

Papers on comparative literature, history, philosophy, cultural
studies, medieval studies, history of art and translation studies are
welcomed and we encourage the authors to submit papers written with
the collaboration and exchange of ideas with friends and colleagues.

Iris seeks to provide, in addition, an open space in which possible
collaborations can be fostered, formed and brought to fruition. If
this prospect of research interests you, send a proposal to Irisand we
will try to start a dialogue.

We are not interested in becoming one of the sciences, nor merely
making ourselves the interpretative wing of our physics departments,
but in using the tools and expertise created by our colleagues in the
Humanities to further our research and the research of others.

We invite contributors to submit papers between 5000 and 7000 words in
length by July, 11th. All papers should include a 200 word abstract.

We would also like to encourage you to read our ?Suspicions? section
and send your own short engaging texts. Suspicions should be between
300 and 500 words.

For submission guidelines, more information about the journal and
other queries, you can visit our website: www.irisjournal.org, or send
an e-mail to: [log in to unmask]

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.