Hi Zhijie,

This loop is good if you have a long unit cell on one dimension and you can align your crystal in a particular direction.  You basically need a beamline equipped with Kappa, which allows you to directly put the crystal on with the plastic tube. A normal cryotong does not hold the bent loop.

Regards,

Weikai

From: CCP4 bulletin board [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Zhijie Li [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 5:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ccp4bb] Hampton's adjustable cryoloop

Hello,

I just noticed that Hampton Research carries this adjustable mounted cryoloop (HR5-900):
http://hamptonresearch.com/product_detail.aspx?cid=24&sid=136&pid=385<wlmailhtml:{35C92305-260C-4820-B40D-05B0D91A0A8F}mid://00000065/!x-usc:http://hamptonresearch.com/product_detail.aspx?cid=24&sid=136&pid=385>

This looks quite interesting to me, as it seems that not every synchrotron station's configuration can allow the use of an extended arc.

I wonder if somebody here can share some insights or experiences about this adjustable cryoloop. I once tried to bend my non-hollow stainless steel pin in liquid nitrogen with tweezers. It didn't work - the pin was too stiff then I lost my crystal in the end. I wonder if this cryoloop was designed such that bending it would be easier.

Thanks in advance!

Zhijie