Dear Arnon,

I have a Nanodrop2000, which reads from the post or a user supplied
cuvette. I have had NO complaints about using the Nanodrop for reading
protein concentration immediately prior to crystallization setup. When I
have observed differences in OD280 vs Bradford, it is usually due to one
of the following:

1) The protein is deficient in the amino acid residues that provide the
280nm signal. This can be corrected with the extinction coefficient, and
can be programmed into the Nanodrop so that the readout is correct.

2) The protein is behaving badly in the Bradford assay (interference
with some component of the protein buffer)

3) The dilution used in the Bradford is contributing to large
concentration errors (and can be combined with 2, above)

The value of the Nanodrop, is that you get a OD280 that you can
reproduce prior to every experiment at a low cost of protein sample. The
N2000 can also do the Bradford or other assay on the post, or with a
cuvette if you really want to do it that way. When there have been no
mitigating factors, my Nanodrop OD280 readings have been within 5% of
the values I get from SEC-MALS, MassSpec or Bradford. I have no
experience with the Pearl, but I am very happy with my Nanodrop 2000.

Good luck with your choice!

Bryan

Confidentiality Notice: This message is private and may contain confidential and proprietary information. If you have received this message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system and note that you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of the contents of this message is not permitted and may be unlawful.