First Q.
Checking the refined structure in detail..

This is personal.
Basic - run REFMAC with monitor many - that lists really bad bonds,
chirality, symmetry clashes etc, but frankly by the time you are at
R=20% there shouldnt be many of those..
You need to be sure you have described any CIS peptides correctly -
conflict can arise between REFMAC and COOT over whether something is or
is not a CISPEP..

Then I use the COOT validation tools as a first and excellent start.

Missing blobs, Difference map peaks
Correct GLN/ASN etc.
Look at ramachandran outliers - etc etc
MOLPROBITY is great at the end - I think it results in overkill if you
still have any gross errors to correct..

Q2.
Kevin cowtan has written a wonderful utility called csymmatch. It moves
a seciond solution to the same origin and symmetry operator as the first
csymmatch -pdbin-ref oldone.pdb -pdbin newone.pdb
-pdbout newone-shifted -origin-hand

It is a great help after MR or automated model building..

You still have to match the chain IDs if you want A1 to match A2 etc,
but it is a great help..

Eleanor