Dear Crystallographers,

While I acknowledge that assigning solvent/ions/waters to blobs of
density is prone to subjectivity, does anyone here know of any
attempts to rigorously assign solvent blobs based on their
characteristics, e.g., nearby residue types, height of peak, etc? I
wrote previously to the BB about distinguishing Na from water, and got
the message that it is far from simple to distinguish the two, but
what about others? I guess the question driving this email is to what
degree can one trust solvent assignments in the pdb? Does it have to
be a case-by-case evaluation? Does anyone know of a good publication
addressing this dilemma?

Jacob

Jacob Pearson Keller
Northwestern University