In her very helpful email, Caroline raises an important general point when she writes:

The 2nd subsession in a full BNIM interview uses narrative pointed questions to get respondents to provide specific narrative about particular incidents that they have spoken about in the 1st subsession. In my experience again it is difficult to get people to discuss chronic over acute issues, the term 'particular incident narrative' (PIN) which Tom uses actually emphasises the 'particular' over the routine. Yet even recurrent experiences only ever happen once in exactly that way. So in fact seemingly routine activities, each time they are done, are in fact 'particular' as it will never happen again.

I completely agree that, faced with a ‘generic incident narrative’ (GIN) such as the run of barbequeues in the example cited by Caroline, you may have to work quite hard to elicit a ‘particuklar incident narrative’.  As Caroline says:

In the above example I could have tried asking - 'you said that you had lots of barbeques while you lived there. Can you tell me more about the first barbeque you had?' or 'you said that you enjoyed the barbeques you had at that house can you tell me about one that you didn't enjoy?'.

Asking for the exception, for the first, for the last, for the worst , for the best etc.

Another way is to ask the respondent whether they remember “any particular barbecue for any reason whatsoever”, and then leave a large space for her to search the archives.

But there is another direction to eventually get towards PINs.

Finally, the current BNIM notepad has three bundles of magic words. On the right hand side are the words like “incident, occasion etc.”. On the left are “image, feeling, thought”. If the person is blocked at the level of a barbequeue generalisation (GIN), one direction is to push for “particularity” in the weays described above.

The other is to push for any thoughts, or images, or feelings (not all three at once) about “them”, and then wait (a long time) for some of these to emerge. The most powerful word is “feeling”, (but it can be a counter-productive to go for it first.). If you take this other (first-bundle of magic words) direction for somebody stuck at the generic level, then your question might be:

(A) 'You said that you had lots of barbeques while you lived there. Do you remember any feelings that you had about them at the time?”

                                    (B) Do you now have any feelings about those barbecues that you had then?

(A) is better because it gets at then-feelings which can then be moved towards a PIN.

(B) is more indirect, but an account of “thoughts or feelings now” can provide material for then moving back to thoughts and feelings-then. E.G.

            What I now think about those barbecues that we had then is that we were naïve but enjoyed ourselves

                        Do you remember any particular moment when you had this thought that you were naive-then?

                        Can you talk more about the sense of enjoyment that you say you had then?

So. A ‘stuck at generalisation’ respondent can be pushed towards PINs in two ways:

(i) by throwing in specifying words like “exception, first, last, any memorable one for any reason”;

(ii) by stepping back and stoking the sensory-emotional earth by using words from the left-hand magic bundle, and then moving slowly rightwards on the basis of the new material thrown up.

The important useful (if not infallible) assumption  is that she did not mention “the lots of barbecues” for no reason and with no thought or emotion. It may emerge that it is very important for her not to remember a single particular barbecue (a) she is lying, (b) there is a particular self-presentation she is trying to stick to, (c) there is a particular barbecue she is determined not to remember, and so she “can’t” remember any. And there other non-exclusive interpretations of “not getting a PIN” for each particular case.

If you spend 5 minutes using all the directions and devices you can think of to get from the generic GIN to a PIN…. and fail…. Then maybe the whole key to the situated subjectivity may lie in that refusal/failure !!

Best wishes

Tom

P.S. Social science researchers. For a free electronic copy of the current version of the BNIM Short Guide and Detailed Manual , just click on <[log in to unmask]> . Please indicate your institutional affiliation and the purpose for which you might envisage using BNIM’s open-narrative interviews, and  I'll send it straight away.

The BNIM Short Guide and Detailed Manual  builds on and develops ch. 6 and 12  of  my earlier textbook, Qualitative Research Interviewing: biographic narrative and semi-structured method (2001 Sage Publications) which has a more general approach to semi-structured depth interviewing, interpretation,  and writing-up.