David said I might have further information, but I regret that I can add little.

Where we do have standing blast furnace remains, what we see is inevitably the final state of the furnace.  Substantial building work had to be undertaken in relining the furnace after each blast, so that the possibility that the height of the furnace was altered cannot be ruled out.  When a furnace was out of blast for a significant period (as perhaps in the case of Gunsmill), it is hard to know how substantial the rebuilding works were.   I have not carried out any survey of the heights of furnaces, and thus have no means of dissenting from the opinions expressed by others.

Some of the surviving furnaces (though 18th century ones) have a parapet around the mouth of the furnace.  While this would partly be a safety measure, the functional top of the furnace would be the top of the wall, though the bulk of the stack would be two to three feet lower.  Could this be a means of reconciling the conflict in the heights? It would be a question of whether you measured to the top of the stack or the top of the parapet (which may not survive).

With the introduction of coke blast furnaces, there may have been an increase in furnace height, particularly in south Wales.  Improvements in foundry technology made it possible to channel air from a single blowing machine to a second tuyere and even a third one.  This depended on being able to produce pressure tight joints in cast iron pipes.  I am not convinced that we have yet fully resolved the chronological issues over these two developments.

I think I addressed them briefly in chapter 3 of my thesis: pp. 56-7 and 66-7 in the hard copy.  You should be able to locate the thesis on a website, if you google my full name Peter Wickham King.  If citing it from that source, say that it is from there, as the pagination of the electronic version differs slightly from the hard copy in one chapter.

Peter King

49, Stourbridge Road,

Hagley

Stourbridge