Hi

We are reviewing the Higher Education Pay and Prices Index (HEPPI) produced by Universities UK and would be grateful for some short feedback on its current use by HEIs (see description and 2 questions below). Please respond to [log in to unmask] by Friday 24 June.

Many thanks.

The HEPPI measures the general price increases facing higher education institutions in the UK. The index covers all higher education institutions that return data to HESA and was introduced in 1996 to replace the universities pay and prices index (UPPI) which dates back to 1956. Although there is great diversity among institutions the index aims to give a broad indication of how the prices of goods and services that they buy are changing on a national level. The index is currently produced for Universities UK by statisticians at the London School of Economics.

Further details on how the index is constructed and the index itself for the period 1999 to 2010 can be found on the Universities UK website at http://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/PolicyAndResearch/Statistics/Higher-Education-Pay-and-Prices-Index/Pages/default.aspx.”

As part of our review into the use of our higher education pay and prices index (HEPPI) we would appreciate it greatly if you could respond to the following questions (please delete and add comments as appropriate)

1.     Are you familiar with the HEPPI? Yes/No

a.     If so, do you use it within your institution? Yes/No

i.      If yes, please briefly describe how it is used

2.     Do you use other methods to determine the effect of inflationary pressures on your institution? Yes/No

a.     If so, please describe briefly the method(s) used

Juliet Chester, Head of policy and data analysis, Universities UK

Direct tel:  +44 (0)20 7419 5517  Email: [log in to unmask]

Registered Office: Woburn House, 20 Tavistock Square, London

Switchboard tel +44 (0)20 7419 4111

Web www.UniversitiesUK.ac.uk Email [log in to unmask]

Registered Company No. 2517018 Registered Charity No. 1001127

Celebrating Universities Week 2011, 13 – 19 June / www.universitiesweek.org.uk

Support us at http://www.facebook.com/ukuniversities