Hello

We are currently working on the online module for Adlib and are hoping to launch soon so this is of great interest to us.

Our test site was provided on Tuesday and one of the issues I spotted was the fact that web excluded records are showing. I was hoping that this was something that would be easy to fix, but from your comment Mark it might not be that straightforward. If this doesn't work we can't go live because of names in case file descriptions - the general public can't know that we have a case file on someone but without their name being on the catalogue our internal departments would never find it again. Is this a problem with all versions or just older ones?

We have had to make significant changes to the web display module to contain the fields we wanted to show - which we had to pay for. I would have thought these were fairly standard for all archive descriptions and, in my humble opinion, would be useful for researchers. However, Adlib did not have them in the standard package.

Regards, Jenny

Jenny Shaw
Collections officer (archivist)

British Red Cross museum and archives
44 Moorfields
London EC2Y 9AL

020 7877 7059 (direct line)

www.redcross.org.uk/museumandarchives

>>> Mark Forrest <[log in to unmask]> 09/06/2011 11:07 >>>

Hello everyone

Yes, we have the same problem, but have not been able to get our IT department to do minor tweaks so are waiting for the next upgrade.

My particular bugbear at present is the "do not display on the web" button which does not work, but would be very useful for current, incomplete catalogue projects and restricted material. I have raised this, but I'm not sure if the next upgrade will sort it out.

I wonder how many Archive users make changes to the basic Adlib setup? I see that this is very useful for Museums, but I would have thought that archives have a standard set of functions and many users require a robust off the peg package which they have no intention of changing.

Thank you Katie for setting this up and getting the ball rolling!

Mark

Dr Mark Forrest
Dorset History Centre
Bridport Road
Dorchester
Dorset
DT1 1RP

Telephone: 01305 250550
Direct Line: 01305 228924
Web address:  www.dorsetforyou.com/archives

Dorset History Centre Opening Hours
Monday Closed
Tuesday-Friday: 9am – 5pm
Saturday: 9am – 4.30pm

Pamela Birch <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: Adlib Users <[log in to unmask]>

09/06/2011 10:42
Please respond to
Adlib Users <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Adlib web display- scope and content

Hello Katie,

Yes we had the same problem but our IT person, who tweaked the web module to meet our needs, found the html code for showing white space/formatting as typed.

I have just asked him and this was his explanation – I think, please don’t blame me I don’t speak html. Web pages generally are set to cut down white space to 1 character so you need to tag the bits that you want this not to happen in. What you need to do is decide what fields you need to show the returns etc in e.g. scope and content, biographical history etc. as not all fields are likely to need this treatment. Then the html code within the page goes:

First line: <pre>

Second line: Information want it applied to e.g. info from such and such a field (I suppose you just use the letter code for the field, html speakers please help here)

Third line: <\pre>

Apparently there are two or three different tags that could be used in different situations but this was the one that we used most

Unfortunately, because some bits stopped working, we are in the process of updating our web module, just when I had got the previous version to look the way I want it and now we are having to have all the tweaks reinstalled and show white space is one of the things still to be put back in.

Anyway hope that helps in someway.

Regards

Pamela

Bedfordshire & Luton Archives Service.