On 13 Jun 2011 at 13:22, Graham Jones wrote:

> Regarding unusual units I was surprised to see a few years ago a
> newspaper explain the weight of a building relative to the weight
> Sydney Harbour Bridge (Sydney Morning Herald - 13.25 x Bridge weight).
>
> The “SydHarb” is a well accepted universal unit covering area (eg
> fractions or multiples of the area of Sydney Harbour) as well as
> volume, depth, height and length (the last two referring to the
> bridge)

Perhaps our universal equivalent is the firkin, aka a submultiple of the
British unit of excess? Examples of popular usage include:

 - "2 firkin heavy"

 - "2 firkin long"

 - or completely generically, and with indeterminate dimensions, "2 firkin
big"

On a more scientific note, I was to say the least surprised last week by
a presentation (from an NMI, and to a metrological audience) on
establishing traceability of tacrolimus measurements to the SI which
expressed the results in ng/mL . . .

Best wishes to all

David
 Dr David Bullock
Director, UK NEQAS
Birmingham Quality
P O Box 3909
Birmingham B15 2UE

FAX  0121 414 1179 [+44 121 414 1179]

This is an open discussion list for the academic and clinical community working in clinical biochemistry.
Please note, archived messages are public and can be viewed via the internet. Views expressed are those of the individual and they are responsible for all message content.
ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
Green Laboratories Work
http://www.laboratorymedicine.nhs.uk