Dear all,

We did a little audit in 2007 in reply to Dr. Smellie's article in BMJ
Cases in primary care laboratory medicine: Pitfalls of testing and
summary of guidance on safety monitoring with amiodarone and digoxin
BMJ 2007;334:312 doi:10.1136/bmj.39090.709537.47.
We collected our data regarding the digoxin level requests (n=967)
from 01/02/06 to 29/01/07. There were 82 samples with high digoxin
(>2.6 mmol/L), of which 6 samples had low potassium (<3.5 mmol/L), 3
had high corrected calcium (>2.5 mmol/L); 5 had low magnesium
(<0.7mmol/L) and 3 had both low potassium and low magnesium.There
were 203 samples with digoxin in the upper 3rd of the reference range
(1.9-2.6nmol/L), of which 10 had low potassium, 3 had high corrected
calcium; 3 had low magnesium, and 3 had both low potassium and low
magnesium.

Of the samples with high digoxin (n=82); 57 were from stages 3-5
Chronic Kidney Disease, in whom 6 had low potassium (all the low
potassium patients were CKD stage 3-5) and 49 had normal or high
potassium, 14 did not have any electrolyte checked.

Of the 68 patients with high digoxin in whom serum electrolytes were
measured, 15 (22%) had electrolyte abnormalities which could cause
arrhythmia. Please find details at:

http://www.bmj.com/content/334/7588/312/reply

Dr Mehdi Mirzazadeh

SpR in Chemical Pathology ( metabolic medicine)

Oxford

List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/