On Thu, 26 May 2011, David Mackland wrote:

> I like the BBC's approach -
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/privacy/bbc-cookies-policy.shtml
>
> They identify all potential cookies delivered from their sites, describe
> what they do and provide links out to how they can be rejected.
> Simples (too keep in with the insurance quotes)
>
> Obviously the BBC is a leader of standards so perhaps this could for the
> basis for UK Universities approach?

My take is that this approach was fine until today when (at least in
theory) the new regulations came into force. Unless all the BBC cookies
are "strictly necessary for the provision of an information society
service" requested by me then they now need to obtain my consent if they
want to "store or gain access to information stored" in my browser. At a
quick look I don't think all the BBC cookies fall under "strictly
necessary" as interpreted by the ICO's guidance ([1]).

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport has published an open letter
about the cookie rules [2]. My take is that it seems to be trying to say
that consent doesn't need to be obtained in advance, which is
'interesting'. It also seems to say that relying on existing browser
controls (at least their default settings) isn't sufficient.

There's a lot more dust that is going to need to settle before we are
going to be able to see where this is all going. There are some wittering
in my blog [3] on this subject and I fear there will be more in the
future.

Jon.

[1] http://www.ico.gov.uk/~/media/documents/library/Privacy_and_electronic/Practical_application/advice_on_the_new_cookies_regulations.pdf
[2] http://www.dcms.gov.uk/images/publications/cookies_open_letter.pdf
[3] http://jw35.blogspot.com/search/label/cookies

--
Jon Warbrick
Information Systems Development, Computing Service, University of Cambridge