Roscigno, C.I. & Swanson, K.M. (2011).
Parents' Experiences Following Children's Moderate to Severe Traumatic Brain Injury: A Clash of Cultures. Qual Health Res, in press.
Abstract
Little is understood about parents' experiences following children's moderate to severe traumatic brain injury (TBI). Using descriptive phenomenology, we explored common experiences of parents whose children were diagnosed with moderate to severe TBI. Parents from across the United States (N = 42, from 37 families) participated in two semistructured interviews (∼ 90 minutes in length and 12 to 15 months apart) in the first 5 years following children's TBI. First interviews were in person. Second interviews, done in person or by phone, facilitated updating parents' experiences and garnering their critique of the descriptive model. Parent themes were (a) grateful to still have my child, (b) grieving for the child I knew, (c) running on nerves, and (d) grappling to get what my child and family need. Parents reported cultural barriers because of others' misunderstandings. More qualitative inquiry is needed to understand how the knowledge, attitudes, beliefs, and culture-based expectations of others influence parents' interactions and the family's adjustment and well-being.

Dr. Ceri Bowen
Founder of "TBIFAMILIES"
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=tbifamilies
(and click on 'subscribe')

Joint Series Editor (Karnac books) and co-author:
"A Relational Approach to Rehabilitation: Thinking about relationships after brain injury"
http://www.karnacbooks.com/Product.asp?PID=28494

Editorial Board Member of "Social Care and Neurodisability"
http://pierprofessional.metapress.com/content/121646