Hello,

I was at an event last night which was hosted by the Dana Centre in London entitled “User Heaven or Techno Hell: Where are Intelligent Adaptive Technologies Leading Us?” (http://www.danacentre.org.uk/events/2011/05/17/621).

I was pleased to discover the event was not some slavish promotion of all technologies irrespective of their end-use.  Alois Ferscha of the Institute for Pervasive Computing at Johannes Kepler University in Linz seemed particularly troubled about how governments and corporations are using our (the public / consumers') demands for information and experiences to control us through surveillance.

I have typed-up a few notes that list-members may find interesting.

Computers are 'good' if you cannot tell they are technology – they have 'disappeared'. An example was sensors in a chair which could identify the sitter based on his / her weight but the sensors were not known to the user.  The sitter has no intention of interacting with the chair but s/he automatically does so.  This is known as 'implicit interaction'.

People have paucity of time so have no desire to interact – therefore the technology must be hidden and surround them.

www.futureinteractions.net – augmenting analogue (such as walls and tables) with digital (like screens or digital whiteboards).

Recording a meeting then measuring excitement levels based on the changes in people's voices to determine what topics were of interest to the participants.

'Default settings' such as automatic spell corrections or power steering means people are losing control by allowing the technology to make our lives 'easier'.

Smart electricity (in dwellings) – can identify the equipment we are using.  If we use the cooker more than usual then perhaps we have company.

IMEI numbers (https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/International_Mobile_Equipment_Identity) – if a crime was committed in a defined area then the police could know everyone who was in the area through checking all IMEI connections with the local cell tower and then demanding subscriber information (assuming that everyone was using a 'phone in their name).

--
Matthew Rippon
School of Geography

http://www.geog.qmul.ac.uk/staff/ripponm.html
**************************************************** This is a message from the SURVEILLANCE listserv for research and teaching in surveillance studies. To unsubscribe, please send the following message to <[log in to unmask]>: UNSUBSCRIBE SURVEILLANCE For further help, please visit: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/help ****************************************************